Java on Ubuntu. Was Re: [Wolves] GnuPG and my new public key...

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 24 15:22:48 BST 2007

--- "Suntish T. Narain" <suntish at googlemail.com>
wrote:
> One more thing, i have installed Java6 from synaptic
> but when i did the
> java --version, it gives me the default:
> java version "1.4.2"
> gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.1.2 (Ubuntu
> 4.1.2-0ubuntu5)
> But i need the java 6 jdk in eclipse.. how should i
> do that?
> btw, i've installed Java 6 jdk which i have
> downloaded from sun and
> there is a directory called java and the java
> compiler, javac, can be
> located in the bin subdirectory. However, when i did
> the java --version
> again, it still give me the default one... :-(
> what should i do!!!

Hi Suntish

Read https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java

Thats should point you in the right direction.

The reason for your problem is that by default GCJ is
installed which is essentially a Java replacement. You
need to install sun-java6-jdk through Synaptic. You
can put other versions of Java on your machine but
they won't be the default Java version, so you have to
mess with a thing called Alternatives.

All of the details are in the above link.

Ad

--

http://blog.adamsweet.org/