[Wolves] Forced to ditch Linux

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 18:11:54 BST 2007

On 26/08/07, Chris Fox <chris at robotninja.net> wrote:

> > Agreed he ought to be barred entirely from using a PC if
> > that is part of his punishment.  However, the fact is he is allowed to
> > use a PC so he should also be allowed to choose the method of usage
> > i.e. the operating system.  By being forced to only use Windows the
> > judge has put this person at risk of being a victim of other criminals
> > due to the insecure nature of Microsoft software.
>
> Okay I'm sorry but that's just FUD, and I think you're blowing the
> "dangers" of MS software waaaaay out of proportion ;-) Considering that
> the guy in question was running a bittorrent tracker site, I'm sure that
> he's more than technically capable of securing a Windows desktop PC.
>
> Chris

Jeez, that's simply bullsh*t!  For god's sake the dangers of Microsoft
software are well known even by Microsoft users.  Why the hell do you
think there is such a massive aftermarket for security software to
protect Windows users?  Ok, he was using a bit torrent client.  So
what?  He may have been using it on a *nix machine because he knows
full well the dangers inherent with using it on a Windows PC.

Strange that on another local LUG somebody else beat me to it to say
exactly what I have said.  That contributor obviously has there head
screwed on the right way and is not living in cloud cuckoo land.