[Wolves] Pete's response to Linux Format

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Wed Dec 12 11:40:12 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 11:30 +0000, Kevanf1 wrote:
> > You don't want to listen to music on it though, use one of these
> > boxes [2] :-)
> >
> >  - Richard
> >
> > [1] Given a working sound card, of course ;)
> > [2] http://www.angelfire.com/retro/ronwill/plinth_301.html
> >

> I wonder if anybody has tried a mix of 5 ply and 7 ply to create one
> these?  7 ply to start with then a sheet of industrial rubber about
> 3mm thick followed by a layer of 5 ply then 2 more of 7 ply.  5 ply is
> generally slightly more flexible so it would allow the rubber to do
> its job and take out any slight vibrations from either the floor or
> the deck itself.

Have a search under "idler wheel" and CLD (constrained layer damping)
- I think there may be nothing not already tried ;-)
Rubber has been used, but may not be the best choice [1]. I've
thought about a lead layer between two ply layers, though some
do not rate this much.

Of course many people just use good quality Welsh slate, as it
already has all of the properties of many combinations, but it's
too hard to cut, and the pre-cut blocks for my turntable (Goldring
Lenco) don't support the arm combination I want.

Now try steering this thread back to LXF, I challenge you ;)

 - Richard

[1] http://wduk.worldomain.net/slatedeck2.html