[Wolves] Pete's response to Linux Format

Zeth Green theology at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 13:17:19 GMT 2007

On 12/12/2007, ArchLinuxUser dick_turpin <dick_turpin at archlinux.us> wrote:
> *The Jack attack*
>
> I've never listened to this so cant comment; it's on my ToDo list.

I think the magazine went a bit up the garden path in that this is
explicitly not a Linux podcast, they used to have one under a
different name but they gave up with it in favour of a more general
ramble/thought for the day approach. It is just this wacky married
couple talking about their lives, much of which involves tech but not
necessarily; it is personality driven, you either like them or you
don't. So by measuring it under a different premise seems a waste of
time.

I haven't heard it in a while. I wrote an email once to this podcast
criticising their views in the previous episode and the way they read
it made it sound quite friendly.

> *Linux Link Tech Show*

A lot of American podcasters seem to like to make these messy
'gonzo-style' podcasts. With people's pets or kids wandering in, skype
noises bleeping and people saying "my tv programme is on, got to go
now" or whatever. I personally find this hard to listen to but I'm
sure there is a fanbase for this.

> *Linux Outlaws*

Never heard of it until now.

> *LugRadio*

Again, I don't quite get the magazine's criticism of the swearing, it
seems the magazine author disagrees with the premise of the podcast.
If you don't at least try to measure a work according to its own
premise and how well it achieves that, then the review is slightly
pointless. Linux Format is a rubbish magazine for gardeners, yeah well
so what.

> *Open Season*
>
> I've never listened to this so cant comment; it's on my ToDo list.

Never heard of it until now.

> *Linux Action Show*
>
> It's not all that bad, I personally don't like the over zealous
> approach but then again they are Americans and it's what they do best.

Sums it up for me too. I will listen if I have a lot of traveling to
do. The audio comments sometimes are better than the podcast. They go
through the news every time, the problem is that not enough exciting
things happen (or they don't find out about it), so the news is a bit
scraping the barrel sometimes, e.g.:

"This week Brian, the first story in our news docket, is Ubuntu
releases latest version of liboil, version 0.3, through the package
manager, while Suse decides to stick with liboil0.2.9-rc1. What do we
think about this." ... "I think it is terrible that Suse users are
prevented from all the essential new liboil features", "Next story,
Novell CEO buys a new pair of shoes, says they are comfy" .

> I disagree with Linux Format that a Linux Podcast
> should be about Linux only, hearing what people have been up to since
> the last episode helps you get to know the presenter a little better

In terms of Linux podcasts, I personally try to remember to listen to
Lugradio (I have started to listen to #LR as well - when it comes
out), there are so many other great podcasts on different subjects
that one Linux podcast is probably quite enough for me, except when I
have to do a lot of traveling then I just fill up my iPod with all
manner of crap.

Best Wishes,
Zeth