[Wolves] Help - crashed hard disk!!!

Chris Maggs chrismaggs at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 11:46:12 GMT 2007

I was about to say about the repair option on the Win 2K install CD
but I was beaten to it!!

On 19/12/2007, Kevanf1 <kevanf1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 19/12/2007, Mark Ellse <me at chaseacademy.com> wrote:
> > Last day of term. The hard disk on the accounts computer has crashed
> > just before payroll. The disk is obviously not totally unreadable
> > because when we reboot from that computer it starts to load Windows 2000
> > but fails to complete. But I can't read the disk when putting it on
> > another machine. It is an NTFS disk.
> >
> > Does anyone have any expertise in getting date off? Or does anyone know
> > of any recovery service? Very happy to pay for the service of course.
> >
> > Mark
> >

> I've managed to get a Win 2000 disk up and running again.  It sounds
> as though the OS is corrupted in this case?  There is a recovery
> option on the Win 2000 disk if I recall correctly.
>
>  Have you tried accessing the drive from an XP machine?  I'd try this
> first to get the important stuff off it.  Otherwise, there is always
> something like 'Lost and Found' (excellent program for recovery work).
>

> --

My GNU/Linux Machines

CPU : 2.8 GHz Genuine P4
RAM : 512Mb Dual Channel DDR
OS : Fedora Core 6 Kernel 2.6.18

CPU : 733 MHz  PIII
RAM : 256Mb PC100 SD-RAM
OS : No OS yet; awaiting new HDD (Debian planned)

Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 running Zynergy ROM
266Mhz with 32mb RAM
Wireless b active

Nokia N770 Debian Linux based SmartPhone
Wireless b/g active
Holux M-1000 Bluetooth SatNav Reciever linked to phone

"Linux - The choice of the GNU generation!"

Registered GNU/Linux user - #419550