[Wolves] Online petition to use Linux

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 13:52:38 GMT 2007

On 19/02/07, Alex Willmer <alex at moreati.org.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 11:13 +0000, Kevanf1 wrote:
> > There isn't much time left but maybe we can wake some people up if
> > enough sing this petition on HM Governments website?
> >
> > http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Use-LINUX/
> >

> Am I alone in disagreeing with this petition? It asks the PM
> (government) to "use the free operating system LINUX in all publicly
> funded offices, schools, etc".
>
> I don't believe the government should mandate a single platform for
> anything, Linux/Open Source/Free or otherwise. Instead we should succeed
> because we've demonstrated we're better.
>
> I would sign up to petition based on mandating open standards & public
> disclosure of all contracts/agreements signed by public bodies.
>
> Alex

To be honest I would like the government to use Linux first and
foremost becuase it is freely available not simply because it is
better.  We all agree that it is the best OS but my big concern is
that my tax money is going towards funding Bill Gates' next shindig.
If the government embraced Linux then some of that money they pay in
licensing fees might, only might because I live in hope, find it's way
into funding open source projects.

Don't take it to the tip recycle it via the Freecycle(r) Network.

For a group near to you look here:
Worldwide
http://www.freecycle.org/

United Kingdom