[Wolves] Online petition to use Linux

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 18:34:44 GMT 2007

On 19/02/07, Andy Smith <andy at lug.org.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 04:23:25PM +0000, Kevanf1 wrote:
> > On 19/02/07, Andy Smith <andy at lug.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> > >If a customer of mine started preaching to me about what software I
> > >had to use for the company's internal processes then I would not be
> > >impressed. :)
> > >

> > But in this case the company is the UK, we the public are the
> > shareholders and we are the ones paying for the proprietary software.
>
> Customers of all companies "pay for" the software those companies
> use, in the price they pay for the services of the company.

That's indirectly.  In this case we are the direct payers of the software.

> > Ok, if open source doesn't do the job I agree, use proprietary.  But
> > while I'm paying my taxes I would rather that the money goes to other
> > things instead of to a billionaire if at all possible.
>
> As far as I am aware Mark Shuttleworth is not that far off being a
> billionaire having sold his SSL business to the crawling doom that
> is Verisign.  I am sure there are some very well off people at
> Redhat and Novell as well.

So?  I have never paid a penny to any of those.  Yes I can voluntarily
pay to p[rojects in open source which is a different matter.  The paid
for distro's make their money from support contracts, people's brain
power to keep a program going not a piece of coding then more money on
top when it goes wrong.

> The money spent is pretty much the least of my worries as Microsoft
> practically give it away for free anyway to governments and so on,
> to ensure lock-in; something that would not be an issue if open
> standards were mandated.  So to me that is by far the more important
> battle and IMHO people should not be distracted by vague handwaving
> and a "down with Microsoft" sentiment.

Ah, I didn't actually say 'down with Microsoft'.  I object to paying
money to the microsoft corporation.  I have done in the past when I
purchased my first PC and for extras like Office.  Now I have no need
to do so and I actually prefer open source equivalents.  But I am held
to ransom by those running the country supposedly for me and you
because they do not look favourably at open source.
Don't take it to the tip recycle it via the Freecycle(r) Network.

For a group near to you look here:
Worldwide
http://www.freecycle.org/

United Kingdom