[Wolves] LRL Mass Debate - BBC Guidelines

Political Penguin fish at politicalpenguin.org.uk
Sun Jul 8 11:42:27 BST 2007

I would hazard a guess they would use section 1.8 as a justification not
to implement systems that would support Linux users.

These two criteria:

3. Are third parties being forced to deal with the BBC on terms which
are demonstrably unfair or significantly out of line with the market
context?

4. Is the proposed activity significant in terms of its scale or scope
(relative to competing offerings in the marketplace)?

They would argue that they are keeping in line with market conditions
and to have systems that are accessible to Linux users would not justify
the additional cost to support such a small number of users.  They would
argue that given the market share they are doing their best to support
the vast majority of people who use Windows and subsequently Macs.

Sad I know but if you're planning on complaining you need to come up
with a significant argument against these points.  We all know it comes
down to DRM but they're not going to openly say that.  Perhaps we should
co-ordinate a bit of in depth research first.  I'd hazard a guess the
best angle would be to examine European legislation.  One often finds
that European Union legislation seems to be a lot more explicit when it
comes to such matters with regard to open use of IT and consumer
protection, sadly not a lot tends to come from UK legislation.