[Wolves] Thunderbird spam question

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 9 22:28:36 BST 2007

--- Kevanf1 <kevanf1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Glad you've go the message filtering working
> properly.  I have given
> up on Thunderbird because the filtering seems to be
> very hit and miss.
>  That's using Thunderbird's own little wizard that
> states 'do you wish
> to create a filter for this message'.  I'll go back
> to Kmail on my Linux box.

I've never had a problem with filtering in
Thunderbird, but I use Message Filters from the Tools
menu. I get thousands of the same kinds of mails, so I
tend to create lots of rules using the Filter editor.

The main problem I have with Thunderbird is that as I
said, I get thousands of mails, mostly automated. If
I'm away for a few days then Thunderbird takes hours
to sort it's internal cache files out while I move
mail around. I remember getting around 100,000 emails
over night and having to leave Thunderbird running for
a whole weekend to rebuild it's cache files while I
deleted them all.

My work computer is a 1.3GHz G4 Powerbook running Mac
OS X mind (not a choice that was in my hands, freedom
lovers), so maybe the issue is CPU speed, rather than
with Thunderbird. Would be nice to incorporate some
calendaring into Thunderbird though.

Still, I prefer it to Evolution which irritates me for
taking up too much screen real-estate with it's left
hand pane (yes I know I can probably change that) and
by having the formatting tool bar in the compose
window, even when you are composing a plain text
email.

Just what you're used to I guess. Not used KMail in
years.

Ad

--

http://blog.adamsweet.org/