[Wolves] The Great Tea & Coffee Debate!

Stuart Langridge sil at kryogenix.org
Mon Jul 23 12:27:31 BST 2007

On 7/23/07, Jen Phillips <jetlaglug at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 20/07/07, Philip Harper <ph004h7245 at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> > Well, this is what we were discussing, tea apparently has Thiamine
> > (spelling??) a different type of caffeine???
>
> I think what's confusing you is that sometimes caffeine from tea is
> called "theine" but it's exactly the same chemical. Some tea brands
> seem to have recently latched onto the alternative word as a way of
> making their products sound more fashionable and fit in with the
> modern trend for "healthy" living.

Not sure if this info made it into your discussion, but: tea, pound
for pound, does have a lot more caffeine in it than coffee does.
However, there's a lot more coffee in a cup of coffee than there is
tea in a cup of tea, and caffeine extracts more easily from beans than
leaves, so a *cup* of coffee contains, generally, more caffeine than a
*cup* of tea does. Just to clear up misunderstandings. See
http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mcaffeine.html for details.

sil

--
A man, a plan, a canoe, pasta, heros, rajahs, a coloratura, maps,
snipe, percale, macaroni, a gag, a banana bag, a tan, a tag, a banana