[Wolves] Ubuntu setback

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 29 13:29:04 BST 2007

--- Mo Awkati <mawkati at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Thanks William for the tip on the software I'll go
> and have a look. I understand where Andy is coming
> from, I never do anything on my PC or anyone else's
> without backing up the data first, like I said its a
> cardinal rule. My colleague didn't wait for me to
> find out how I can recover the data for him, he
> immediately reinstalled windows ( I can't tell you
> how I felt!). I am certain that if he opened gparted
> the partition would have been there and he would
> have been able to move the data to a stick or a dvd.
>
> And now its all Linux's fault and my fault!!!
>
> Mo

I went through this procedure when I bought my laptop
around 2 months ago and you know what? The Feisty
graphical installer asks you what you want to do to
the disk. I chose to split the existing Windows
partition to make room for Linux and it did it. I
strongly suspect that your friend either chose the
wrong option at the partitioning stage and opted to
take over the entire disk, or at the bootloader 'would
you like to add other operating systems to grub' stage
decided not to, or as everyone else suggested,
something went wrong at the bootloader stage and it
didn't include a Windows entry.

If it was the 1st or 2nd, then it was their fault. If
it was either of the 2nd or 3rd possibilities, then
your friend's data was still there. I guess this
proves the theory, "If something bad happens to your
data, the idea that doing something must be better
than doing not anything is untrue".

Ad

--

http://blog.adamsweet.org/