[Wolves] Dependencies and Ubuntu 7.10

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 09:57:30 GMT 2007

On 07/11/2007, leei at webmail.co.za <leei at webmail.co.za> wrote:

> > Hi Kevan,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> It is just when I am installing applications from the command line that it
> tells me that there are dependancies but if the application gets installed
> from the gui from the add applications section then that works. I wanted
> to install some applications for example the scanning software for my
> scanner needed glibc installed so I had to install that first then the
> software.
> I wanted to install Limewire so I had to install java manually.
>
> Hope the above helps.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Lee

Ah, now here's where I have to plead ignorance of the command line,
sorry :-(  But, I would have thought that if you are using apt then it
should still take care of dependencies from the CLI.  Unless you are
installing from source code?  In which case I do believe that you will
need to manually take care of dependencies; that's standard as far as
I am aware with all distro's.

Mentioning Java though, I know that there have been some problems with
getting the latest version installed.  I had trouble and so have a
fair few others according to the Ubuntu/Kubuntu forums.