[Wolves] Ubuntu 7.10 can't get any to versions to work!

Dave Morley davmor2 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 10:54:51 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 09:01 +0000, ph004h7245 at blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
> Not sure what has happened here.
>
> I've downloaded Ubuntu 7.10 from ubuntu.com and on trying to install it
> seems to think my hard drive is SCSI instead of IDE and messes up the
> partitions so the system dosen't boot.
>
> So I tryed Kubuntu 7.10 instead, again downloading direct from Ubuntu,
> this time, on booting the CD I create with an image it comes up with a
> scrolling message of something like "bash: cannot access dev/null"
> dev/null I assume to be the unix/linux "black hole" that is used to erase
> files.
>
> So I'm stuck using windows for now, I may go back to my previous tried and
> tested dapper 6.06 LTS, as I'm sure there are bound to be some teething
> problems as 7.10 is such a new release.

Two things to try here straight away.
1/ In the command line type "md5sum foo/bar/kubuntu.iso"  (Where
Kubuntu.iso is the name of the iso file and foo/bar lead to where the
file is.)  This will give you the images number which you can check
against the one on-line to check that the image is good.
2/ Run check cd from the disc boot menu.  This will check your burn is
okay.

Failing that, try an alternative cd.  This give you a text based install
which should work regardless :)
--
Seek That Thy Might Know