[Wolves] Ancient laptop up for grabs

Kris Douglas kris at softdel.co.uk
Thu Nov 8 17:01:39 GMT 2007

On 08/11/2007, Dave Morley <davmor2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Not true it would be an excellent thin client Ltsp stylee :)
> >
> > Not to put the boot in anymore, but I think it is even too low spec
> > for that: CPU of 75 MHz is not a lot. You will also need to add an
> > Ethernet card unless it has one already:
> >
> > "For using the default, secure mode of LTSP, you'll need to have a
> > slightly faster CPU. Any 233 MHz or better CPU should provide
> > acceptable performance.
> > If you have slower clients, in the range of 133 MHz to 233 MHz, you
> > may be able to use them, if you're willing to reduce the security of
> > your thin client network. More on this in the Administration section.
> > For the best possible performance, a 533 MHz processor will provide a
> > first class thin client desktop experience."
> > http://doc.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/handbook/C/server-hw.html#id2751308

> Damn never mind :(
> --
> Seek That Thy Might Know

Things like that are good for datalogging, I remember we setup an old laptop
in a new frame in the wall, that basically displayed the status of machines
in the room, through a pcmcia network card. I think that had a very similar
spec.

So they aren't useles...just less useful.

--
Kris Douglas
      Softdel Limited Hosting Services

      Web: www.softdel.net