[Wolves] The Open Hosting project

ArchLinuxUser dick_turpin dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Fri Nov 9 10:05:08 GMT 2007

On 08/11/2007, Kris Douglas <kris at softdel.co.uk> wrote:

> Finally, what makes this idea different from any of those other hosting
> services out there? Basically, the fact that it's going to be actually
> providing some kind of good to a Community or Charity.

Fair play to you Kris although you maybe opening a whole can of worms
and headaches for yourself however I have no wish to 'Rain on your
parade' just promise me you won't let anyone have a site with a
*black* page background theme.:-)

While on the same subject, sort of, a couple of years ago someone on
Wolves-Lug was offering a hosted Server/Space for testing apps etc. If
memory serves me the machine was a bit of a beast which would enable
you to thrash the buggery bol.. out of a project you was
creating/testing.

Now that would be a lot of fun for people to say try out ssh, vpn any
sort of remote stuff.
Not everyone is lucky in having access to hundreds of boxes and
networks they probably only have a Laptop or a PC so miss out on all
the remote management stuff. As pathetic and childish as it sounds I
well remember the first time I rebooted a machine that was 30 mile
away I was pretty excited (How sad is that?).

I'd imagine it would have to be virtual machines given that you
wouldn't want some spotty Herbert shutting down the hardware and
cutting everyone off but you could get sponsorship by creating virtual
machines of all the main distro's giving users the choice of which one
to use then telling say Ubuntu how many testers are using the brown
distro which is valuable information (Sorry had me salesman's hat on
then).

There then only remains two possibly three potential problems you'd
need to register as a charity so you don't pay tax on any thing
received as payment. A board would need to be elected and a treasurer
appointed unless everything was free (as in money) with no sponsorship
or donations.

As usual you've come up with another brilliant idea good luck, what
happened to the Linux for Chocolate idea?

--
Regards

Dick Turpin
http://www.cannon-linux.co.uk

Arch Linux is an independent i686-optimized community distribution for
intermediate and advanced Linux users. Utilising a Rolling Release
System packages are regularly updated and an ISO release is just a
snapshot to the stable packages at that time. So there's no need for a
fresh install the command 'pacman –Syu' upgrades the whole system.