[Wolves] Linux man pages

John Kennedy skebi69 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 09:57:16 GMT 2007

Chris,
I think the only way you will get them in text format (Unless you mirror a web
site that has them listed already) will be to actually convert them all with
a script. The command to convert a man page to text format is:
man <command> | col -b > <command>-man.txt
I would suggest something like:

for i in `find /usr/share/man/man1 -name \*.gz
do
BASE=`basename $i .1.gz`
man $BASE | col -b > $BASE
done

of something similar.

John

On Thursday 15 November 2007 09:41:29 Chris Maggs wrote:
> I want to make a database (MySQL) of them so I can access them in work
> (or from anywhere really!) where I don't have access to Linux. I'll be
> putting them on a public webpage along with other hints and tips for
> Linux users (new and experienced!) as I pick them up.
>
> Visitors will also be able to add their tips and so forth. Basically I
> want to try and make a Linux Help page. I know there's loads out there
> but the more coverage we get the better in my eyes!

> On 15/11/2007, ArchLinuxUser dick_turpin <dick_turpin at archlinux.us> wrote:
> > On 15/11/2007, Chris Maggs <chrismaggs at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Does anyone know where I can download all the Linux man pages in plain
> > > text format - preferably in an archive if possible!  I know I could do
> > > "man command > command.txt" but this would take bloody ages!
> >
> > Chris
> >
> > Not seen anyone ask this question yet. "Why?"
> >
> > Not wanting to be a party pooper but you should have the 'man' pages
> > for any install you have unless of course there's not one written and
> > why anyone would want to read a 'man' page for something that's not
> > installed is beyond me.
> >
> > Is there not a book Linux Bible? or something from Oreilly?
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> >
> > Dick Turpin
> > http://www.cannon-linux.co.uk
> >
> > Arch Linux is an independent i686-optimized community distribution for
> > intermediate and advanced Linux users. Utilising a Rolling Release
> > System packages are regularly updated and an ISO release is just a
> > snapshot to the stable packages at that time. So there's no need for a
> > fresh install the command 'pacman –Syu' upgrades the whole system.

Regards,
John Kennedy
Dedicated Support Engineer
jkennedy at novell.com