[Wolves] Backing up over a WAN connection

Alastair Battrick al at aj8.org
Thu Oct 4 11:07:04 BST 2007

leei at webmail.co.za wrote:
> How does one do a backup over a WAN connection with latency for servers
> across the world and create an image of the entire system including SQL.
> What Linux free software will do the above for us. We have tried rdiff and
> that does not work.

I use rsync nightly to replicate our office server's /data/ directory to
a backup store on a remote webserver, via our ADSL link. If you use a
tool such as mysqldump to create a text version of the database prior to
running the rsync that would keep that up to date also.
--
Alastair Battrick
http://www.aj8.org