[Wolves] Google repositories

ArchLinuxUser dick_turpin dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Thu Oct 11 10:47:15 BST 2007

On 11/10/2007, Chris Fox <chris at robotninja.net> wrote:

How much information about your system (apart from your IP address, the
> fact that you run Linux and the fact that you want to use Google Earth)
> is using their APT repository going to capture for them? What are they
> honestly going to do with this data that is so harmful to you?
>
> Also, what makes you think that the likes of mirrorservices aren't
> snuffing your data either?  :P

So glad to see nothing has changed

I don't give a toss what Google does with my data and actually I like the
way the adverts plastered all over my home page are fine tuned to what I
look at, buy, and use via Google.

The 'releasing any information about on-line experiences' is a side issue
that's just fuzzing things (Here we go again) I did say in the original post
" I'm not saying thats good or bad just musing really"

I'm more interested in why people should use the service over and above the
tried and tested repos, and an observation that Google pretty much cater for
everything now so should I be slinging my Linux boxes in the bin and doing
all my work via my television and Google on-line apps?

--
Regards

Dick Turpin

Arch Linux is an independent i686-optimized community distribution for
intermediate and advanced Linux users. Utilising a Rolling Release System
packages are regularly updated and an ISO release is just a snapshot to the
stable packages at that time. So there's no need for a fresh install the
command 'pacman –Syu' upgrades the whole system.