[Wolves] BTfon - Can anyone make any sense of this announcement?

ArchLinuxUser dick_turpin dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Mon Oct 15 12:59:10 BST 2007

On 15/10/2007, Peter Evans <zen8486 at zen.co.uk> wrote:

> > I'd be really excited about this if it was anyone but BT.
> Why is this such a concern?
>
> > Surely free, wide-spread metropolitan networks with VOIP would kill
> them.
> Quite possibly, but is there ever going to be such a beast?  Are there any
> free wide-spread working networks with VOIP (genuine question, because I
> don't know).  If there are, then how do they get funded?

Hm that's what I'd like to know, apparently the government is determined to
achieve free *wireless internet* which is interesting as yet again its
another smoke and mirrors job. It would appear the hope is that everyone
with a wireless router will give up a percentage of their bandwidth thus
enabling a so called free wireless, hotspot service. Typical government, use
someone else's money to pay for something they will then claim as their own
(They seem to be doing that a lot lately).

The government have no intention of compensating you for this gift and as
far as I know neither has BT any plans to drop your bill either so it begs
the question why would you get involved?

MacDonalds already operate free wireless connectivity for *their customers*
how on earth they police that is beyond me as I doubt its 'passphrased' it'd
be too much work to keep changing it. I suppose they do it in the hope
you'll pop in and by some re-constituted meat stuff in tissue paper ersatz
bread (Look it up).

Its irrelevant who you get your broadband from it all goes through Telecom
house in London anyway (I've said this before) you know, you buy your gas or
electric from Swaziland energy but it still comes through British gas pipes
or West Midlands electricity cables.

So you'll indirectly be paying BT anyway :-)

--
Regards

Dick Turpin
http://www.cannon-linux.co.uk

Arch Linux is an independent i686-optimized community distribution for
intermediate and advanced Linux users. Utilising a Rolling Release System
packages are regularly updated and an ISO release is just a snapshot to the
stable packages at that time. So there's no need for a fresh install the
command 'pacman –Syu' upgrades the whole system.