[Wolves] For those inquiring on wednesday

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 10:05:12 BST 2007

On 16/10/2007, Russ Phillips <russ at phillipsuk.org> wrote:
> On Tue, October 16, 2007 12:14 pm, Kevanf1 wrote:
> > On 16/10/2007, Chris Fox <chris at robotninja.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I think the Open University still gives StarOffice away on the Online
> >> Applications CD-ROM they send to students with each set of course
> >> materials...
> >
> > So we do have some 'slightly' forward thinking academic institutions
> > in this country :-)
>
> The School of Engineering at Sheffield Hallam University has a distinct
> liking for Linux & open source. I first came across Linux during the first
> year of my degree there, when we installed Slackware as part of one of our
> modules.
>
> We did stuff with Linux (various distributions) every year, and lecturers
> often used OpenOffice Impress for presentations (leading to some minor
> issues when they came to display them on machines with PowerPoint)
>
> Some lecturers used and preferred Windows, but I'd guess at least half
> used Linux, and the source code for their research projects was open. I
> don't know how much of the rest of the university used Linux or open
> source.
>
> Russ

Whereas half the time the mere mention of Linux at Wolves Uni has the
staff suffering apoplexy :-(  I know of a number of members of staff
who still openly scoff at Linux and who hate it.  Anybody been in the
Delta Institute over at Priorslee, Telford Campus?  It is a Microsoft
research centre.  Need I say anymore?