[Wolves] BBC Technology poll - vote now :-)

stephen welch stephenwelch at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 26 20:48:04 BST 2007

>I used to run an IT support function in the mid-90s, and frankly, I'd have
>happily spent £500 a year to avoid the overhead of running software usage
>audits to ensure we stayed legal. (OK, it wasn't a school, but a company
>with a similar type scheme.)

I agree with you there but most would probably audit once a year anyway and
if you can get away without paying £500 to ms by using Open source then that
is certainly a consideration.  In any event you would need to keep on top of
all the other software (in schools) that is in use.  In a Jolly by Golly
sense that is a lot - most of it crap.

>I understand that MS offers massive discounts to schools, presumably on the
>basis it really wants a generation of kids brought up familiar with MS
>software.

Exchange 2007 license cost in brum =£90
Exchange 2007 client license cost in brum =£2

>To my mind, the biggest problem is the lack of companies looking to provide
>IT services to schools based around Linux.

Big big let down by Becta here!  Their recent fair trading issue should be
the tip of the kronenberg here.  They approve whiteboard suppliers for use
in schools who don't supply drivers for linux!!  Fair?  Don't stop bashing
Becta.

It would interesting to see how many to the fifteen or so Becta approved
bidders for the Building Schools for the Future Project or the large academy
bids actually utilise or readily supply other OS such as Linux.  I used to
work for one and they certainly didn't.  You need a a lot of money to get
through bidding processes like this and this sort of cash is not generated
by flogging software that doesn't cost anything.

Chances are that
>the job is done by a teacher or an office support person, who "knows a bit
>about computers", and anything more complex than that is referred to the
>LEA, who have a standard recommendation :-(

Not so true in that most schools do have dedicated ICT support on either a
full time or temp.  The quality is variable and the quality of advice
sometimes constrained by the local council policies or there nexus.
Ultimately the decision will rest with the school and they will normally go
with what they know best (MS).

>OpenOffice have (for all their faults in other areas) done good things in
>promoting companies who want to target the educational sector. The Linux
>community has, in my view, never really taken on the sector seriously.

True in some senses but things like moodle and Joomla are a big in quite a
few local councils and a lot of there systems run linux, et al but nearly
all schools (the users) use MS and until people in general start using open
source more frequently than MS then the scales will be tipped only one way.

Stephen