[Wolves] BBC Technology poll - vote now :-)

Mark Harrison Mark at yourpropertyexpert.com
Mon Oct 29 09:01:00 GMT 2007

Richard Smedley wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 21:11 +0100, Mark Harrison wrote:
>
>> The point about £500 pa was a comment on the "just pay a fixed fee per
>> PC, irrespective of which MS software you load on it" licencing model.
>> I'm not saying that this model is best, only that I _don't_ find it
>> particularly morally reprehensible as an option.
>>

> Hmm, I think in most walks of life this would be known
> as a protection racket :-/

Really... Just trying to find examples:

- A video rental library that charges a flat monthly fee irrespective of
how many videos/DVDs you borrow.

- Company van insurance. Pay one (higher premium) and be insured for any
member of staff to drive the van, irrespective of whether all of them
actually do.

- A health club that charges a monthly fee irrespective of whether you
go or not in any given month.

- A broadband connection that charges a monthly fee, whether you use the
service or not (or whether you use the service for an hour each evening
to check email, or are a teleworker.) [ditto gas, electricity, phone,
mobile phone, water, sewage contracts, many of which have "fixed monthly
fee" plans.]

- Hell, if you want to go down that route, a bookshop that charges the
same price per book, whether it is read by every member of your family,
and loaned to your friends... or whether it is given as an unsuitable
Christmas present, and never read.

In most walks of life, offering pricing plans that are "decoupled" from
actual usage is the norm, surely? Or at least, an option that no-one
blinks about.

I can't comment on a court case that the legal system dropped. My
experience of court cases is that EVERYONE goes in thinking they have an
excellent case, and 50% of people discover that they didn't. (I've been
involved in exactly one court case, where my insurer and I believed the
other driver was at fault, and the judge disagreed :-) )

M.

M.