[Wolves] Suse 10.3 & booting

ArchLinuxUser dick_turpin dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Mon Oct 29 09:13:57 GMT 2007

On 29/10/2007, leei at webmail.co.za <leei at webmail.co.za> wrote:

> I was trying out Suse 10.3 over the weekend and tried to dual boot it with
> Windows Vista.

Is Vista on the same drive as the openSUSE or is openSUSE on a separate
drive?

The boot.1st file is blank and if you go into the Yast admin tool for
> booting you can make changes but it does not save the changes and I do not
> know where it is trying to save them too as the menu.1st is blank. I even
> tired modifying the boot.1st file and Suse created another blank boot.1st
> file. I was root when I modified the files.

Do you have the DVD or are you using the 'Live' CD? If you have the full DVD
then boot from that choose 'Rescue' its a bit misleading as it looks like it
is going to do a fresh install. Follow the instructions for 'Rescue' do the
*Full* checks this will interrogate your system and 'should' fix the boot
loader.

I have used the Rescue feature of SuSE, openSUSE hundreds of times its the
best *Automated Fix* routine of any distribution.

openSUSE does not like you directly editing boot files for some reason so
I'd give the rescue a try 1st.

Hope that helps.

--
Regards

Dick Turpin
http://www.cannon-linux.co.uk

Arch Linux is an independent i686-optimized community distribution for
intermediate and advanced Linux users. Utilising a Rolling Release System
packages are regularly updated and an ISO release is just a snapshot to the
stable packages at that time. So there's no need for a fresh install the
command 'pacman –Syu' upgrades the whole system.