[Wolves] Free: 1 strawberry tray loading G3 Apple iMac - spare or repair

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 30 12:23:55 GMT 2007

Hi all

I have an early 'new world' strawberry G3 iMac on
offer, the ones where the base unit and monitor are a
single unit. Specs as follows:

266MHz G3 Power PC processor
192MB RAM
9GB disk (I think) split in 2 partitions (see below)
Tray loading CD drive (as opposed to the faster slot
loaders)
Built in modem and ethernet
15" built in CRT monitor
OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)
OS 9 software restore disk and modem cable
Apple USB Keyboard and hideous Apple one button USB
hockey puck mouse

Details here:

http://lowendmac.com/imacs/imac-c.shtml

I believe this is maxed out hardware wise and software
wise, but it may be possible to add a larger disk and
some more memory (see link above). This disk is split
this way as I believe OS X needs a partition no bigger
than 8 GB to boot from on these early new world Macs.
They can see bigger than that if you have other
additional partitions, provided you have that 8GB
partition. According to the above link, it must be no
bigger 7.45 GB depending on what you call a GB.

It also has lots of proprietary software on it,
Microsoft Office for Mac, several Adobe titles like
Photoshop and Illustrator. It came this way, so don't
blame me :)

Now the bad news. I turned it on this morning to
prepare it for being given away and it appears the
disk has died. Forum posts suggest it may be fixable:

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-16323.html

But to to me the disk sounds like it's died due to the
clunky noises.

This is a nice machine for a first Mac. It's nice to
play with just to see what a Mac and OS X feel like,
though obviously it is no speed demon these days.
Sadly the duff disk might preclude people from having
a use for it, though you can always put a new disk in
it and install Linux.

It's yours if you can collect from my house or from a
LUG meeting, but I'd prefer sooner rather than later.

Ad

--

http://blog.adamsweet.org/