[Wolves] Suggest an OS

Mark Harrison Mark at yourpropertyexpert.com
Fri Sep 7 09:28:59 BST 2007

Tim Childe wrote:

> As for memory, I've already done the upgrade thing and upgraded to 64
> - I made an error assuming that the 32 was in one slot leaving one
> free, but it's actually built in leaving two slots free, so I could
> have gone to 80Mb.  Unfortunately, I realised too late to add another
> 'simm' to my order and as the postage from the US was more than the
> price of the memory ordering a second time was not worth it. (the
> memory is ridiculously expensive in this country)

I'm not trying to suggest that you SHOULDN'T import - just make sure
that you're aware of how level the playing field is. I've been buying
from US over the Internet since 2000, and a lot of the time it DOES make
sense, however... while it's fashionable to complain about UK pricing,
it may be worth remembering what you get it you buy from a UK supplier.

- Right of return. Whether stated or not, the European Distance Selling
Directive applies to purchases made by individuals. I appreciate that
not all sellers seem to honour this, and the costs of chasing a bad one
may outweigh the refund, but in my experience 95%+ of UK vendors I've
used seem good. The DSD explicitly does NOT apply if you buy from a
vendor outside of the EEA.

- Decent warranties. Under UK law, it is very hard for a warranty to be
less than 1 year, because if nothing else Trading Standards have the
right to over-rule the published warranty terms if they deem them
unreasonable. By comparison, many US products have 30 day warranties
(counted from date of dispatch, BTW.) [I've been burnt on this one
personally, BTW].

- Reassurance that your purchase is at least safe enough to pass CE
certification. (Not an issue for RAM, I suspect.)

- (Clearly this doesn't apply to RAM) - reassurance that your product is
designed for 230v / 50hz electricity.

- The knowledge that about 15% of the price is going to fund nurses,
teachers, Gordon Brown's chauffeur, the War in Iraq and the Millenium
Dome..... seriously, though, if you're a business, remember to deduct
the VAT when making the comparison.

For the record, I'm a shareholder in an etailer (not of IT products), so
have a vested interest in trying to persuade you to "buy from a British
supplier". That having been said, their products ARE normally as cheap
as US imports - and they don't feel a need to apply an exchange rate of

Mark