[Wolves] Suggest an OS

Jen Phillips jetlaglug at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 10 21:06:55 BST 2007

On 10/09/2007, Stuart Langridge <sil at kryogenix.org> wrote:

> The question was directed at Russ rather than you, fear not :-)

You don't scare me, Langridge! As he's not on this list, I've acted as relay.

In case anyone is interested, here's Russ's how-to, which pretty much
pulls together the various bits that have already been mentioned here:

First, on the SSH server:
Enable X forwarding in the sshd config file (/etc/ssh/sshd_config on my system)
You need the following line:
X11Forwarding yes
(Mine had it, commented out, and "X11Forwarding no" uncommented)
Restart the SSH server (or reboot the box)

Then, on the laptop, open a terminal and run:
ssh -X <server's IP address>

This assumes that the user name you're logged in as on the laptop also
exists on the SSH server. If not, run:
ssh -X user@<server's IP address>

Give it your password. You then have a terminal on the SSH server. Run
an X program and it will appear on the laptop. xcalc is a good command
for testing

This does, of course, assume that a) you've got a box running sshd and
b) you've got a laptop capable of running ssh. Hope it's useful.

Hugs,

Jen