[Wolves] Suggest an OS

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 10 21:12:34 BST 2007

Tim Childe wrote:

> On 9/9/07, *Andy Wootton* <andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
> <mailto:andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk>> wrote:
>

>     I often use a laptop just so I can sit somewhere else 'to be
>     sociable'.
>

> Yep, that's the idea here.
>
>     If you had a server elsewhere, then a minimal 'X terminal' solution
>     might meet your needs.
>

> Now I had thought of that, but it's beyond my Linux knowlegde and I
> failed miserably with Win98 and vnc :-(
>
> My 'server' PC dual boots betwwen win2000 server (long story !) and
> Ubuntu......point me in the right direction to get started on that
> idea ;-)
ltsp - Linux Terminal Server Project. It's widely used in schools so
there is plenty of information but people do sometimes assume knowledge
of a lot of jargon and put in none-essential complexity for home, like a
DHCP server - a little over the top with 2 hosts. Beware that in X,
'server' and 'client' are the opposite way round to what you expect. The
display server works for the client program (running on 'the server'.)

You could even use the Cygwin/X display server on Win98 but run the apps
off your Linux server. You'll have to do something to allow incoming X
connections.

The reason that Jen suggests using ssh is that X passes unencrypted
passwords over the wire. This is important if the 'wire' is actually a
wireless LAN and a scanner in the street could pick up your server
password but may be worth the risk over a wire inside a firewall.

Woo