[Wolves] Backup query

Daniel Jones djones9960 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 16:05:27 BST 2007

<snip>
> 1.  What do people use to backup on linux?
Smbtar + 7zip(*) run from a custom bash script...

> 2.  What backup method do you/your work prefer ie full + incremental/Differential etc?
...which does a full backup...

> 3.  What other system stuff do you backup on a regular basis?
...of users' documents directories, desktops, email, and other
miscellaneous requested directories such as payroll and CAD
directories...

> 4.  How often do you/your work backup?
...called daily through cron.

As for backing up at home, I just dump my home directory onto a DVD-RW
when I get a sufficiently round toit, which isn't nearly as often as
it should be.  There seems to be a bit of a shortage of toits in my
home.

(*)  Irritatingly, the linux command line 7zip tends to core dump when
it comes very large files in my experience(although admittedly I
haven't tried for a few months).  Command line windows 7zip run
through wine, however...
--
Dan