[Wolves] I'm sure no-one will want to crow about this but... only (Ubuntu) Linux survived

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 11:57:12 BST 2008

On 31/03/2008, Andy Wootton <andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> http://www.gadgetell.com/tech/comment/vista-falls-linux-pwns-this-years-cansecwest/
>
>  Windows Vista is getting better though. It's now reasonably safe as log
>  as you don't run applications on it.
>  This is a definite step up from NT being safe as long as you didn't
>  connect it to a network :-)
>
>  Woo

It's still horribly, horribly sloooooooooooow.  I've just heard a
funny thing on Radio WM.  A guy comes on every month to deal with
consumer computer problems.  He is 100% Microsoftcentric but he is
dealing with the majority.  Anyway, I'm not going to get into an
argument about that :-)  What made me smile was the fact that this guy
who deals with Microsoft customers every single day stated that he
hears, again, every single day, people who want to ditch Vista from
their brand new PC/laptop and stick XP on in its place.  Now that's
not surprising to me with my experience of Vista.  What then made me
laugh was his statement that it was manufacturers that weren't keeping
up with Vista that were causing the problem.  Rubbish!  Vista is too
slow without any other software on it simple as.

It does classicly demonstrate why closed source is so bad though.
What it doesn't address, of course, is why those same manufacturers
can't get their act together and write drivers or other software for
open source OS's.