[Wolves] Virgin & ipv6

Ron Wellsted ron at wellsted.org.uk
Thu Aug 14 09:31:25 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 09:44:32AM +0100, Peter Evans wrote:
> Without wishing to be provocative, and perhaps displaying my own ignorance,
> but why would you want to use IPv6?
>
> I know about its greater address space, and that it has IPSec support, but is
> this all it offers?
> --
> Regards,
>
> Pete Evans

The main problem with IPv4 is that at the current rate of adoption, it
will soon not be possible to add any new devices to the internet. The
current estimate as to when this will happen is sometime between
November 2010 and February 2011.

This the main driving force behind the move to IPv6.

One advantage of the greater address space is not needing to use NAT
and avoiding all of its associated problems.

Another advantage is the result of various redesigns of the protocol
which have made auto-configuration of the subnet possible (Aq will
like this).

It sounds like I will have to start work on my threatend IPv6 talk for
the LUG soon.

--
Ron Wellsted
ron at wellsted.org.uk http://www.wellsted.org.uk