[Wolves] EeePC eat my girls iPod's

Adam Sweet adam at adamsweet.org
Wed Aug 27 08:47:06 UTC 2008

Kevanf1 wrote:
> Speaking from the experience of my youngest two (20 and 17 yrs) it
> would seem that iPods are rather flaky at the best of times.  They've
> both had to do that reboot thingy with them.  My oldest has an Archos
> mp3 player and has never had any trouble with it whatsoever... I know
> what I'd choose.  Oh, the wife also has an Archos and hers has been
> perfect for over two years now.

I dropped my bag on my beloved Cowon iAudio X5 and damaged the aux input
attachment which I use to play it through my car stereo via a radio
transmitter :( It sticks out from the bottom of the device via a wafer
thin connector and provides the USB connection, aux out, mic in and
charger connections. I'm heartbroken. I have to decide whether I can
cope with propping the thing in a specific position when charging,
copying music onto it or using it while driving without driving over any
bumps or just shell out for something else. It seems a waste of money to
buy a new audio player when the audio player and headphone socket
themselves are fine. The headphone socket is almost unbearable quality
when used with the transmitter (which is the point of having an aux as a
balanced line out).

I drive everywhere these days so I haven't used headphones with it in
over a year I don't think. Decisions... Whatever I get it must play ogg.
The Cowon iAudio A2 or A3 look nice, or I might get another X5. I've
been incredibly happy with apart from the fact that all of the
non-headphone sockets are on this stupid extra connector which attaches
to the bottom (and breaks when you drop a bag on it).

I just wanted to share my sadness.

Ad