[Wolves] Who said the Novell/Microsoft partnership was iffy?

Alex Willmer alex at moreati.org.uk
Thu Dec 4 11:00:48 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-12-04 at 10:37 +0000, dick_turpin wrote:
> Hi All
>
> http://www.novell.com/products/openofficewindows/?gnews=GN_US_Dec08_Openoffice

An interesting development. I've found LWN coverage of this quite
enlightening:

        Support for OOXML is one of the contentious areas surrounding
        OOo. There are two (vocal) developer camps, one Sun-centric, the
        other Novell-centric; unsurprisingly they tend to clash over
        OOXML as well as development pace and direction issues. It has
        gotten to the point where a fork, called Go-OO, has come about,
        led by Novell's Michael Meeks. Go-OO's version of OOo has been
        adopted by several distributions leading some to see it as a
        "hostile" fork.
                                          http://lwn.net/Articles/303009

Sun are keeping a very close leash on OpenOffice, they require copyright
sharing for any patches submitted, which makes people a bit nervous. So
Novell (and others) are vying for influence, and various not-quite-forks
are being maintained. I'm guessing/hoping OpenOffice will go through a
transition similar to that of Mozilla's.

Alex