[Wolves] Ubuntu Installer

ArchLinuxUser dick_turpin dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Wed Feb 20 14:47:55 GMT 2008

On 20/02/2008, Dave Morley <davmor2 at gmail.com> wrote:

>  As to why others haven't picked up on it yet.... I think it's because in
>  Ubuntu land it's known that people start with the live cd then dual boot
>  then move onto using Linux full time.

Hm, pretty much everyone has been offering live CD/DVD with desktop
installers for a while now, openSUSE will even let you install from a
Live Windows session. If it works as well as you say I'm still
surprised that Fedora ect has not jumped on it.

I take it that it will only pick up profiles on the same HDD then? So
in other words if you was looking to resize the partition (not erase)
you should be good to go?

> However I think others just want
>  you to use theirs only, really.  (over simplifying greatly I'm sure)
>  But things like fedora most of their work then winds up in RHEL well if
>  your paying for a system then on the whole your only likely to have that
>  system on your machine (If that makes sense).

Yes but if you decided that the Ubuntu install was a bag of doggy doo
doo you could install Fedora using the importer, makes sense to me.

With regards RHEL that goes without saying.

--
Regards

Dick Turpin
http://www.cannon-linux.co.uk

Arch Linux is an independent i686-optimized community distribution for
intermediate and advanced Linux users. Utilising a Rolling Release
System packages are regularly updated and an ISO release is just a
snapshot to the stable packages at that time. So there's no need for a
fresh install the command 'pacman –Syu' upgrades the whole system.