[Wolves] HUD (Heads up display)

Stuart Langridge sil at kryogenix.org
Mon Jan 7 23:47:30 GMT 2008

> Why bother with a visual display - Emacspeak to a bluetooth headset
> should be fine for most LUG members, and for those dependent upon
> GUI apps, the GNOME a11y software.
> Input could be a chording keyboard, though I do know someone working
> on morse input ;-)

Main reason why to bother with a visual display is that we've spent
twenty years making visual displays good, and there's been very, very
little work on audio-only interfaces. It's certainly doable, but it's
not necessarily easy. Look at the problems that screen-readers have
when trying to make interfaces available to the blind, which is
essentially what we're talking about here. I'm not at all clear that
Emacspeak would be a good interface for everyone -- maybe not even all
LUG members.

sil

--
New Year's Day --