[Wolves] HUD (Heads up display)

ArchLinuxUser dick_turpin dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Tue Jan 8 10:10:12 GMT 2008

On 08/01/2008, Stuart Langridge <sil at kryogenix.org> wrote:

> The point Richard was making here is that putting a HUD on glasses is
> *hard*, so an alternative might be a voice-only output interface.

/shrug

> You look like a spanner! Would you go out wearing that?

But that's not what we are aiming for, what we are hoping for has not
been invented yet. The mockup and conversation is a "Concept Project".

> The point here is: if you want to project an image onto someone's
> glasses from some arbitrary other point (i.e., from something not
> fixed to the glasses) then you have to be able to detect where the
> glasses are in 3d space, and project onto the surface, and adjust it
> second-by-second as the user moves her head. Which no-one can do at
> the moment, as far as I'm aware.

Ah, no, that's not the solution I envisaged. the display would be
projected from the frame of the glasses, using a mega tiny projector
lens.

> Besides, you said "I bet you could get some kind of quasi-phone that
> would project the image"; if you need the phone *and* magic
> super-bulky glasses then it's never going to take off :)

My mistake I was referring to the projected keyboard. You'd need some
matchbox size box the box would connect to the www via Wifi (or
whatever) the box would also project the keyboard and talk to the
glasses.

Mind you once technology has advanced enough you might be able to get
components small enough that all you need is the glasses.

Move over Joe 90

--
Regards

Dick Turpin
http://www.cannon-linux.co.uk

Arch Linux is an independent i686-optimized community distribution for
intermediate and advanced Linux users. Utilising a Rolling Release
System packages are regularly updated and an ISO release is just a
snapshot to the stable packages at that time. So there's no need for a
fresh install the command 'pacman –Syu' upgrades the whole system.