Ogg on each OS's default music player. Was: [Wolves] Pete's response to Linux Format. Partly O/T?

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 9 23:47:38 GMT 2008

Adam Sweet wrote:
> Neither of these are supported natively on Windows or Apple's OS X,
> iTunes and iPods, you can probably work out why yourselves. You can add
> support by installing VLC on both OSes.
I don't want to have a different player for every file format and
neither do Microsoft and Apple fan{boys | girls} so making their chosen
weapons work properly is an  easier step toward a better world to
persuade them to make.

I used this codec to add Ogg Vorbis support into standard Windows Media
Player on XP

http://www.illiminable.com/ogg/

though it's so long since I used Windows for listening to music that
this information comes without any guarantee that Microsoft haven't
found some way to break it.

and these good people seem to be trying very hard to get iTunes to play
nicely on OS X:

http://www.xiph.org/quicktime/

It saddens me that Nokia have not seen fit to get Ogg Vorbis supported
on the Maemo music player on the N8xx. I feel they have a moral
responsibility to support open standards but they clearly don't.

Woo