[Wolves] Now I know what Vista hell is!!!!

Dave Morley davmor2 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 10:56:28 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 09:57 +0000, Kevanf1 wrote:
> On 16/01/2008, Andrew Lewis <andrew at monkeysailor.co.uk> wrote:
> > I hate the idea of starting an OS flame war, but I feel the need to put
> > a few things straight here.
>
> *rant snipped for brevity* ;-)
>
> Well, this is purely a personal experience and it stands.  To me it
> reminded me of how I felt when I first tried Linux about 12 or so
> years ago now.  Hardly anything worked and it put me off so much I
> didn't bother with it again for another 12 months.  Now that didn't
> matter because at the time Linux was still very much in the lap of the
> uber geek and hobbyist (barring server installs).  The relatively few
> people like myself who tried Linux and found it lacking (for us it
> definitely was) walked away and it didn't matter.  Nowadays things are
> so wonderfully different.  Anybody from a Windows background (such as
> I was at the time) can start to use a Linux PC and be productive with
> it without having to go through hoops.  This is the important bit,
> "without having to go through hoops".  I don't particularly want to be
> messing with a PC for hours and hours at a time just to get something
> to work with it.  I have much more important things to do with my
> time.  Ok, I don't mind the odd exploring session and I'm getting
> better when I do manage to break something to put it right again, but
> that's by the by.
>
> My experience yesterday is being repeated all over the world.  The
> thing is, Microsoft is a business.  A business cannot afford to have
> its product (in this case its flagship product) failing so badly and
> with such frequency.  Yes, previous incarnations of Windows have been
> pretty awful when it comes to crashing etc.  That's different because
> the user base was still new and did not really know what to expect.
> People now (as in the buying public) expect a lot more from their
> product.  This sort of failure can only harm Microsoft's business.
> It's quite possible that they have budgeted for this and don't
> honestly expect great sales of Vista for the first couple of years, I
> don't know.  In the meantime I feel very aggrieved that my daughter
> and I are practically guinea pigs and we have paid for the privilege
> :-(  Actually, I would say that I had far, far less trouble with
> Windows 95b.
>
> I still say Vista is shite :-)  Ubuntu just looks like poo but that
> can be put right and I'm so grateful that it can :-)  Yes, after many
> years I am actually starting to get to the stage where I can say that
> I love Linux over other operating systems....
>
> until my Kubuntu box goes wrong again ;-))))))
Kubuntu broken I think that's a keyboard interface issue ;)

As for Vista I think it is as bad as Widows ME but prettier.  The fact
of the matter is Vista is bad.  But Vista it is said has a lot going for
it.  Security for idiots for one.  Drivers and programs need to be
signed secure for them to work another security feature.  This is where
the big problem starts, because previous incarnations of Windows have
been so insecure MS have made a relatively secure product.  To keep it
that way everything has to be signed off.  This is where the delay kicks
in because so much isn't signed off.  Microsoft are trying to do things
right but have created a product that is nowhere near as useful as it
should be.

An example here in the Linux world would be KDE4.  It's pretty it's
secure but now where near as usable as 3.5.6 (or whatever it's at).
This is the problem when you rewrite huge chunks of code it breaks
things.  The advantage that KDE4 has over Vista is things will get put
right a damn sight faster in KDE4 but it will still take time.
--
Seek That Thy Might Know