[Wolves] Horrid Hard Drives & Hairy Holidays

Kris Douglas webbox.uk at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 20:45:23 GMT 2008

Horrid Hard Drives & Hairy Holidays
…A depressingly sad 'blogmail' from Kris

So I went to France this past few weeks, twice… The first time was pretty
good, skiing in the south, lovely weather, the works… Then, Mum got her
purse taken in Geneva (that convention place), she also later broke her arm
coming down the stairs, resulting in many trips to a local hospital and 3
pins in her arm. The total of this was the loss of my Grandparent's credit
cards, one of her credit cards and £200-odd pounds of cash. When I returned
from this holiday I found out that the card that was stolen was the one that
was paying for my do-everything server, so the result was the tearing down
of my website and all my files, until I got them restored after paying a
fee. I was then getting ready to pack for a holiday with my school to
Disneyland Paris, which was actually pretty good, apart from the fact that I
found over £20 worth of credit had gone from my Orange phone before I had
even used it. Anyway, before I left we were about to start watching our TV,
which runs on MythTV and Ubuntu 7.10, the backend was said to be offline, so
I wandered upstairs to reboot it, thinking that it was just one of those
segmentations that happen every other full moon. When walking into my room I
was confronted with a blank screen, so I rebooted the computer and was
presented with a disk check "not tested in 20 days… bla testing disk…" I was
like, no big deal, happens every so often. Came back to it and it had a # in
the middle of the screen and the hard drive light was on. I couldn't access
anything on the computer what so ever, so I rebooted it… "Grub: Error 15"(I
think)… oh crap. So I went to Google and it told me something could be
missing, oh well… no big deal… live CD in the drive and back it all up, how
hard can that be? Very, in fact, it didn't work, The partition on the drive
was Unknown, it wouldn't mount and I couldn't see any files on it. –(Just
for some background here, there are 3 drives in the machine, a 200gb with
our music and TV shows on etc, a 40gb drive with the Home folder and a Swap
partition, and a 160gb which contained all recorded TV and stuff like that,
MythTV was set to put everything in there. We have about 100gb of
TV/Music/Film that we ripped off dvd's etc and other stuff on the 200, and
that was the dead drive…) So I left it for a while, made some posts on some
forums and got nothing back… So If anyone would like to assist, please do, I
will be very grateful. I was looking around and it appears that it's
possible to directly access data on some drives, so I assumed that I could
have just done that.. But as of yet I have not found any suitable
applications.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm very peed, and I'm at risk of having the
whole MythTV replaced with a set top, meaning no networked music, and no
always on machine for downloads.

--
Kris Douglas
      Softdel Limited Hosting Services