[Wolves] BBC iPlayer woes...

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Thu Jan 24 14:02:54 GMT 2008

On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 11:27:27AM +0000, Kevanf1 wrote:
> I have just been told by a lot of good friends on another mailing list
> about iPlayer problems :-)  Sorry, I can't help but crow about this..
> Apparently the iPlayer software is installing secret peer to peer
> networking software on every compatible 'Windows' PC that is placed
> upon.

A quick bit of fact checking...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=iplayer+bandwidth
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=iplayer+p2p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPlayer

"Further criticism has been focussed on the iPlayer's use of KService from
Kontiki, a peer-to-peer application which continues to utilise users'
bandwidth, even after the iPlayer has been shut down,[19] though this can be
controlled using options available within the software."

> It's secret because the BBC are not telling any of the users
> about it, or, at least not in the large print anyway.

It's been known about since the day iPlayer came out. Just because your
friends didn't know doesn't make it a secret.

Besides, find me a Windows user who actually _READS_ what's in front of them
anyway!

> It may be
> hidden away somewhere that they will end up seeding other users but it
> should be fully disclosed.

What? Like this comprehensive page on their help?

http://tinyurl.com/2qrhte

Which I found by clicking "help" then going to the (at the time) most
popular question.

>  All PC's with iPlayer software are slowing
> to a literal crawl.  It sounds like the BBC could get into a bit of
> bother about this if they really are allowing the installation of
> undocumented software.

It's not undocumented.

Cheers,
Al.