[Wolves] BBC iPlayer woes...

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Fri Jan 25 11:46:13 GMT 2008

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 10:31:34AM +0000, Kevanf1 wrote:
> I can honestly say that I always skim past any EULA.

The message about p2p is displayed _before_ the EULA. But lets not let facts
get in the way of a badly researched rant eh?

http://popey.com/~alan/iplayer/Screenshot-QEMU-2.png

> Good point.  One would hope that everything was removed... however,
> this is Windows stuff and anybody who has ever used MS Windows will
> know that not all programs clean up after themselves properly.

Again, speculation. iPlayer does clean up after itself. I just checked.

> Well, the iPlayer is aimed at the masses.  So, with that in mind I am
> of the opinion that all instructions should be made very clear and in
> easily understandable English (and other languages of course).  Said
> instructions should NOT be overly 'wordy'.  I mean, how difficult is
> it to simply say, "this software will also install a peer to peer
> networking agent that will share your files with other uses who have
> iPlayer. You may find you download speed is affected by this
> constantly running software."

It says "BBC iPlayer Download Manager uses Kontiki peer-to-peer technology
that requires you to both download and upload files from the internet in
order to watch programmes. By installing the BBC iPlayer Download Manager,
you agree to be part of a peer-to-peer network. To find out more about
peer-to-peer technology and to watch a video explaining what this is, please
visit this page http://bbc.co.uk/iplayer/support/"

Looks pretty clear to me, and they have (as I posted previously) some online
help and even a video for the great unwashed to enlighten themselves with.

Cheers,
Al.