[Wolves] A Linux challenge

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Sun Jun 15 00:05:00 BST 2008

Chris Fox wrote:

> Kevanf1 wrote:
>
>> Can anybody help me with their extensive Linux knowledge?
>>
>> A friend of mine has challenged me to come up with some alternatives
>> to software used in Windows.  For once this is not the usual easy word
>> processing or music playing stuff.  Is there any way Visual Basic can
>> be written in a Linux environment...
>>

> Never used it, but isn't this basically what the Mono project is all about?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mono_(software)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris
>
> - --
> Chris Fox (chris at robotninja.net
I don't think he'd be impressed if he's a Visual Studio user. The MS
tools obviously have to be at the leading edge so that developers can
get ready for the next Windows release while the Mono project is still
playing catch-up with the last one. It could be a good way to make him
believe that Linux is behind the times.

If, on the other hand, he just wants VB for Applications then I believe
OpenOffice.org offers something similar:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/BASIC_Guide/Language
but I haven't used it.

Woo