[Wolves] vodafone usb wifi modem

stuart bell sailing1 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 14:19:54 GMT 2008

On 17/03/2008, Kris Douglas <webbox.uk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:26 PM, Re-LoaD <reload at brum2600.net> wrote:
>

> > Kris Douglas wrote:

> > > I wouldnt call it out of the box, but they do work well. If you want I
> will
> > > put you in touch with someone who has set a load of them up, they work
> > > really well... Email me off list and I will put you in touch :)
> > >

> > What go for the '3' one as well ?

Hello All,

Huawei E220 no problem to set up in linux. Use recent kernel - 22 +
and just set it up in your hardware manager as an analogue modem. Mine
is unlocked so I use "3" and TMob - with the same connection settings!

You'll find the modem comes up as tty/USB0 tty/USB1    and creates
iface ppp0 so your fwall and network manager will see it. Knemo is
useful as you get full stats so you can avoid exceeding the monthly
limit and getting ripped off for a few megs.

I have seen reliable download speeds of 2megs on the "3" sim but this
varies according to
"turbo" coverage and signal strength ( very good in W'hampton )

If, for some reason, you want to run it in an older kernel there is a
howto in the ubuntu forum.
I know that one works as that's how I did it originally.

My sims are both prepay and probably qualify as a scam. The Tmob sim
is a phone prepay with access at £1/day max - for 24 hrs, not bad.  My
"3" sim I bought one of those awful skypephones on prepay and threw
away the phone. This gets you 'net for £5.mnth just buy the addon
every 30days. Top ups never expire. Very cheap.

I don't know about any of the contract deals as I'm away a lot and
will not pay a contract when not using the sim. I just buy local sims
to avoid roaming charges. ( hence my unlocked E220 )

My first post here, I'll introduce myself properly later !!

Stuart