[Wolves] xrdp

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Sat May 17 11:33:59 BST 2008

Kevanf1 wrote:
> I've not heard of the xrdp server before Woo.  Am I correct in
> assuming it allows a standard 'Network Drive' (Microsoft terminology
> for a network connection to a 'share' on a different machine) to
> either an 'app' or a 'share' onto a Linux PC running the server?  So,
> if I wanted I could set up a share from the XP machine to my Linux
> machine and run say GIMP from the Linux PC on the Win PC?  Or does it
> need a folder or something setting up?

I haven't tried it yet because I haven't move to Hardy yet but I
understand it uses Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection client to
create a window in which you can have a complete Linux desktop
environment in a similar way you could with a windowed X environment by
installing an X display 'server' on Windows.

You could sit a a Windows laptop with no extra software on it and
connect to an Ubuntu box and get a complete Ubuntu desktop. Graphics
intensive apps would probably suffer a bit from the desktop being piped
across the wires but standard text stuff should be fine. One of my
colleagues uses RDP from a laptop at home to the development environment
on his desk at work to program and manage databases (all Windows) rather
than try to keep the environment on his laptop in step or work on a
low-powered laptop all the time.