[Wolves] Suggestions for hosting

Adam Sweet adam at adamsweet.org
Thu Nov 13 14:30:18 UTC 2008

Andrew Lewis wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm working on a rather interesting project, and I'm going to need a
> fairly capacious web/file server.
> Hosting from home isn't an option (not enough upstream), so what
> services would people recommend?
>
> Also does anyone know of a NAS device that can support SVN and FTP, or
> would I be better just making a very low power pc and using that?

Bitfolk and Bytemark do affordable hosted VMs in the UK if you're happy
to admin a box, disk space might be a price issue if you need more than
20GB or so. Linode do the same thing in the US, which works out cheaper
if you don't mind the lag.

As a matter of fact, I've been looking for the same thing myself, albeit
for internal use - machine which can be RAIDed, with a low power
footprint and can be used to run an Intranet, SVN repo, MySQL, internal
DNS, backup daemon and what not, so all advice gratefully received.

Ad