[Wolves] Regarding Ordnance Survey and local councils

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 14:45:52 UTC 2008

2008/11/20 Alex Willmer <alex at moreati.org.uk>:
> Following last night's discussion, this article sums up the state of
> play quite nicely:
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/nov/20/ordnance-survey-google-maps
>

> Alex

Hmm, I find that rather strange.  I had to get a license from Ordnance
Survey a few years ago for a project that I was chairman for.  It was
one of the Village Plans that the government has promoted.  I was
allowed to use a full scale copy of a portion of an Ordnance Survey
map (the part showing Cheslyn Hay but I could have used a much larger
section if I wished) and allow it to be world viewable.  Ok, this was
not online but the copy is availabel to all at our local library and
our Village Hall.  It can also be referenced in any correspondence.

I did find that Ordnance Survey licensing is about as vague as
Microsoft's.  Ask a question one day and get an answer.  Ask that same
question another day and get a totally different answer, both backed
up in writing by the way.