[Wolves] EeePC900

Adam Sweet adam at adamsweet.org
Fri Sep 26 10:17:58 UTC 2008

dick_turpin wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Misco has an open box *Black* EeePC 900 (Windows) for £164 ex VAT
> http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sourceid=2632&EdpNo=320361&Sku=OB142936
>
> If it had been White I'd have been tempted and stuck ArchLinux

I've been checking almost daily and the Dell Inspiron Mini 9 is finally
available with Ubuntu for £268.99 inc VAT and delivery. Which is I
think, a really good deal. Annoyingly, the XP version for £299 comes
with a 16GB SSD, while the Ubuntu one comes with 8GB and you can't
upgrade to the 16GB one.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-inspiron-9?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

I found an Eee PC 901 (ie 1.6 GHz Atom processor instead of 900MHz
Celeron) for £279.65 inc VAT, plus £8 delivery.

It's a pretty touch call between the 2 for me. The Eee has a 20GB SSD
and wireless N but *tiny* keyboard for my big hands, while the Dell has
a smaller SSD, a larger but allegedly annoying keyboard layout but it
will ship with Ubuntu working out of the box. Hardware-wise I think the
Eee 901 sounds better but I'm erring towards the Dell for the guaranteed
working hardware under Ubuntu as that's what I'd be running on an Eee.

Also of interest to others:

Advent 4211 - a rebadged MSI Wind for £270 from PC World, has 80GB HD.
It *is* the MSI Wind, just cheaper and with a different badge. If I
wanted a hard disk one, I'd get this.

Acer Aspire One - 512MB Ram, 8GB SSD I think, bluetooth but only £200
from PC World, runs modified Fedora called and looks great Linpus Linux
Lite. I played with one and really liked it.

Ad