[Wolves] Boot Failed with new motherboard

Claire lug at sitesearcher.co.uk
Wed Apr 8 08:24:35 UTC 2009

Hi all

I have just changed motherboard from an AsRock Dualcore-sata2 to an MSI
P43 Neo-F (MS-7519) which has a different sata controller from the old
one and booting is failing with can't find /dev/root.

 From what I've read I think this is because I need to rebuild the
initrd image with the correct sata kernel modules included. I have
booted from a mandriva one live cd and the drivers appear to be
pata_jmicron, ata_piix and ahci. I believe these need to be added to
/etc/modules.preload.d before chrooting somehow and using mkinitrd to
build a new initrd.

Can anybody guide me through this please?

Everything I've read assumes you are still able to boot from hdd but I
can only access it through the live cd at the moment.

Many Thanks
Claire