[Wolves] Boot Failed with new motherboard

Dave Morley davmor2 at davmor2.co.uk
Wed Apr 8 08:59:18 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 09:24 +0100, Claire wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have just changed motherboard from an AsRock Dualcore-sata2 to an MSI
> P43 Neo-F (MS-7519) which has a different sata controller from the old
> one and booting is failing with can't find /dev/root.
>
>  From what I've read I think this is because I need to rebuild the
> initrd image with the correct sata kernel modules included. I have
> booted from a mandriva one live cd and the drivers appear to be
> pata_jmicron, ata_piix and ahci. I believe these need to be added to
> /etc/modules.preload.d before chrooting somehow and using mkinitrd to
> build a new initrd.
>
> Can anybody guide me through this please?
>
> Everything I've read assumes you are still able to boot from hdd but I
> can only access it through the live cd at the moment.
>
> Many Thanks
> Claire

Where's mandriva dude when need him, Chris oi Chris fellow loser, sorry
user here ;)

http://blog.linuxbox.co.nz/2009/03/interactive-debugging-bootinitrdimg.html

This is about the closest thing I could find for mandriva not sure how
much use it is.  But Chris should be able to help you if you're lucky.
--
Seek That Thy Might Know

http://www.davmor2.co.uk