[Wolves] windows drivers ???

Dave Morley davmor2 at davmor2.co.uk
Fri Apr 17 17:10:18 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-17 at 10:02 -0700, Steve Wilson wrote:
> In the docs I read that ...
>
> > Ubuntu supports a system known as NDISWrapper. This allows you to use a Windows wireless device driver under Ubuntu.<
>
> Is there a similar system for other types of device driver? Eg USB video adaptors, like the one used by Pinnacle Video Creator?
>
> TIA,
> -Steve Wilson

Welcome to the list Steve :)

Not that I'm aware of.  As far as I can tell the only reason for
ndiswrapper is because the wifi devices had no free driver or ever would
till dell start shipping ubuntu :)

Because everyone of these devices have different hardware in them it is
hard to support them all.

One thing I have noticed though is these device tend not to so hot
swappable under Linux so you may want to try inserting the device before
you actually boot up the machine and see if it is recognised then.

If that fails run lsusb and ensure the system can see it.  If it can
then it is down to linux not having drivers for it.  In which case do
the following lsusb -vv > lsusb.txt and add that to a bug filed on
Launchpad.

Hope that helps
--
Seek That Thy Might Know