[Wolves] Exim/Imap/Thunderbird filter anoyance.

Adam Sweet adam at adamsweet.org
Sat Dec 5 19:46:36 UTC 2009

Wayne Morris wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I collect my email from a mailserver running Exim and Dovecot using
> Thunderbird, and use any of two laptops or a desktop.
> I have the same copy of a set of Thunderbird filters, which move mail as
> it arrives into relevant folder.
>
> Trouble one is that I leave one computer on, then use another from
> elsewhere, I inevitably end up with two or more copies of
> emails as each copy of Thunderbird does its work.

You're using IMAP rather than POP3 right? The POP3 'leave messages on
the server' setting doesn't work that well in a practical sense, that's
what IMAP is for.

Find the following Thunderbird setting in the advanced config editor:

mail.check_all_imap_folders_for_new

and set it to true on each version of Thunderbird. Each one will now
check all folders when they check for mail, which will make sure they
don't get stale.

If that doesn't help, then it may be that you have a corrupt Thunderbird
folder on one machine, but the above setting won't do you any harm, I
always turn it on anyway.

If you think you might have a corrupt folder, take a look at the
following links.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Duplicate_messages_received
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders#Real_fix

They recommend removing the .msf files from within your Thunderbird
profile. YMMV, but have a look at the compacting stuff too. I might be
barking up the wrong tree in light of #2.

> Trouble 2 is that if I access my email from a mobile phone, I see copies
> of email that have already been moved, at least for a couple of hours.

This is a weird one. It might be a legacy of the problems in #1, but
similarly both #1 and #2 might be due to the same cause and the common
element is Dovecot. I only ran Dovecot briefly so I don't know it well
at all but I would check you don't have some weird 'keep copies in the
original folders when moving mail' setting enabled in Dovecot and take a
look at /var/log/maillog to make sure nothing weird is going on.

Also make sure that you are refreshing the folders when viewing them on
your phone, my phone doesn't by default, you have to tell it to refresh
the folder.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, this has been sitting in my LUG folder
waiting to replied to for a month, I've been travelling all over the
place for 6 weeks.

Regards,

Adam Sweet

- --